What is a proctored exam?
A proctored exam is a type of exam that is monitored by an invigilator or proctor. The proctor is responsible for ensuring that the exam is taken fairly and that the rules and regulations of the exam are followed. The proctor may be in the same room as the exam taker, or may monitor the exam remotely using a web camera and other technology. Proctored exams are often used in educational settings to ensure that students are not cheating or receiving assistance during the exam. They can also be used in professional certification or licensure exams to ensure that the exam is taken in a secure and fair environment.
Tips for preparing for an exam monitored by a proctoring platform
- Familiarize yourself with the proctoring platform before the exam. This will ensure that you know how to navigate the system and that you understand the rules and regulations.
- Make sure your computer and internet connection meet the minimum requirements for the proctoring platform.
- Test your microphone and camera to ensure they are working properly.
- Ensure that your testing environment is quiet and free of distractions.
- Have a valid and reliable ID ready, as some proctoring platforms may require you to show it during the exam.
- Follow the instructions provided by the proctoring platform and respond to requests promptly.
- Read the exam instructions carefully and make sure you understand the format of the exam and the types of questions that will be asked.
- Make sure to have all necessary materials ready, like pen and paper.
- Take a deep breath, relax and focus on the exam, it will help to improve your performance.
- If you have any technical issues, reach out to the proctoring platform’s support team immediately.
Setting up an online proctored exam typically involves several steps:
- Identify the proctoring platform that will be used for the exam. There are several proctoring software platforms available, such as ProctorU, Respondus, and Examity.
- Create an account with the proctoring platform and set up the exam. This may include creating the exam questions, setting a date and time for the exam, and setting any rules and regulations for the exam.
- Send out invitations and instructions to the exam takers. This may include providing them with a link to the exam, instructions on how to set up their computer and web camera for the exam, and any other relevant information.
- Test and verify the technology. Make sure that the proctoring platform is working properly, the cameras and microphones are working, and that the exam takers are able to access the exam.
- Monitor the exam. During the exam, the proctor will be responsible for monitoring the exam takers remotely, to ensure that the rules and regulations of the exam are followed.
- Evaluate the exam. After the exam is complete, the proctor will evaluate the results and ensure that the exam was completed fairly and in compliance with the rules and regulations.
- Provide results. Once the evaluation is complete, the proctor will provide the results to the relevant parties.
It’s important to note that depending on the proctoring platform you choose and your specific needs, some of these steps may vary. Also, some proctoring platform are fully automated, eliminating the need for human proctoring.
How do I prepare my test room?
When preparing a test room for a proctored exam, you will need to take the following additional steps:
- Ensure that the room is secure and that only authorized personnel are allowed to enter.
- Set up cameras or other monitoring equipment to ensure that test-takers are not cheating during the exam.
- Make sure that all electronic devices, such as cell phones and laptops, are prohibited in the test room and placed in a designated area outside the room.
- Set up a station for the proctor, where they can monitor the test-takers and ensure that the rules are being followed.
- Ensure that all test materials, such as exam booklets and answer sheets, are securely stored and distributed only to authorized test-takers.
- Provide clear instructions to the test-takers on the procedures they must follow during the exam, such as when they are allowed to leave the room and when they must remain seated.
- Check the room and equipment before the exam to make sure everything is in working order and ready for the test.
- Have a plan in place for handling any disruptions or violations that may occur during the exam.
Please note that you might also need to follow additional guidelines/protocols due to COVID-19 like keeping the room ventilated, providing hand sanitizers and face masks for the students.
How does Honorlock work?
Honorlock is a proctoring software that uses a combination of technology and human oversight to monitor and prevent cheating during online exams.
- The student takes the exam on their own computer, using their own web camera and microphone.
- The software uses facial recognition technology to confirm the student’s identity and track their movements during the exam.
- The software also uses audio and video monitoring to detect any suspicious behavior or cheating, such as the student leaving the room or looking at prohibited materials.
- If the software detects any suspicious activity, it will flag the incident for review by a human proctor.
- The human proctor will review the flagged incident and make a determination as to whether cheating occurred.
- The proctor has the ability to pause the exam, ask the student to present their ID, and even lock the student’s keyboard and mouse to prevent cheating.
- Honorlock also has the capability to detect various forms of cheating such as screen sharing, multiple tabs open, and other forms of cheating.
- The software generates a detailed report of the exam session, including any flagged incidents and the proctor’s determination of whether cheating occurred.
Please note that Honorlock is one of the many Proctoring software available in the market and the features/functionality might vary depending on the product and company.