Strategic Analysis Report on Cobra Beer
The Report must cover the following 4 questions in the analytical report:
1. Provide an in-depth analysis of the competitive forces and strategic elements of the external environment shaping the X’s industry.
• Approximately 900 words excluding use of supplementary appendices
• You should use any relevant strategic models to complete your analysis including macro-frameworks, Porter’s 5 forces and Industry (ILC) theory. Please avoid listing and descriptive content. It must contain structured critical evaluation.
2. Undertake an internal strategic analysis of X company using appropriate organisational & strategic models to complete your critical assessment.
• Approximately 1,100 words excluding use of supplementary appendices.
• Your strategic analysis should concentrate on the internal aspects of X as an organisation. This can include financial & resource appraisal (RBV) and/or value chain linkages and other relevant learning gained from lectures & seminars on BKEY601.
• Aspire to being critical. Do not outline any theories in an explicit fashion. Simply apply them to the context of the case.
3. The CEO is concerned about various PR crises that have impacted X since 2008. Therefore, you are required to identify the external stakeholder issues that X faces and critically assess their impact on the corporate reputation and brand equity of X.
• Approximately 700 words excluding use of supplementary appendices
• This requires the critical application of organisational ethics theory, CSR concepts, stakeholder applications & reputation management concepts/metrics.
4. Based on sections 1-3, you are required to summarise the strategic options (strategies) that are appropriate to X and make definitive recommendations for X to sustain its future position in the its industry.
• Approximately 1,300 words. No supplementary appendices should be used in this section. It is not appropriate.
• This requires the application of the strategic options approach based on one of the lectures & seminars. It is very advisable to continue attend lectures that follow after the publication of this document.
With regards to theory and application: You are not required to analyse any theory! Briefly mention (within one-two lines max) what it is about and the original/initial reference
It is a report (not an essay) thus you will need analytic headings, sub-headings, clearly structured answers. Please follow the particular suggested structure:
Executive Summary (excluded from the word count)
Table of contents
8. Q1 – Analysis of the external environment
Sub-headings here e.g. 1.Macro Environment Analysis – PESTEL, 2 Micro Environment Analysis – Porter’s 5 Forces Model
9. Q2. – Analysis of the internal environment
Sub-headings here: e.g. 1.Resource Based View of the Company, 2 Value Chain etc..
10. Q3. – Analysis of PR crises
Subheadings again here – according to your identified crises/relevant theory
11. Q4. – Strategic Analysis
Subheadings here: e.g. 1. Business Level Strategy, 2. Corporate Strategy, 3. Strategies Suggested for future/Evaluation, 4. Implementation Modes/Techniques and Final Suggestions.
12. Conclusions – Yes, this can be as part/sub-heading of the previous point – it is up to you.
13. Full list of References / Bibliography (excluded from the word count)
14. Appendices. (excluded from the word count)
Questions and Evaluation Explained:
? In Q.1. have you looked at industry level (this is not specific to X) using macro & relevant 5 forces analysis? (20%)
? Q.2. Have you analysed relevant internal issues using appropriate strategic and organisational concepts & models? These should include the application of financial, value chain & organisational concepts. (20%)
? Q.3. Have you critically examined X’s stakeholder engagement using appropriate ethical, CSR & reputation management concepts? (10%)
Quality of strategic options analysis and final recommendations (30%):
? Have you used preceding issues from Q.1- Q.3. to justify a set of possible options (ideally 4-6 options)
? Have you thoroughly applied the SAF or STAIR (or any related) evaluation model?
? How specific and well justified are your final recommendations for X?
Overall presentation, structure, writing clarity and quality of secondary research sources (20%):
? Have you checked your assignment properly before submission? THERE IS ONLY ONE FILE TO SUBMIT AND ONLY ONE CHANCE TO DO IT – No extra submissions are allowed or extra files after that.
? Report format required. Use of a proper executive summary, annotated contents & appendices. These are NOT part of the word count.
? Reformulate questions into report headings
? Have you both spell-checked and proof-read your work? Is it clear to the reader? Writing clarity and flow is important
? Have you paragraphed & formatted your work properly? Size 12 readable font, 1.5 spacing
? Have you made an effort to reinforce your analysis with some extra research?