- The full-text version of this e-book is available through your online classroom.
Before you begin, please reference the Discussion Forum Grading Rubric for guidance on how your discussion will be evaluated.
Much of our text reading this week focuses on substance use and addictive disorders. Using the Ashford Library, access the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual 5 (DSM-5) using the instructions in the required resources section for this week and select one of the disorders in the section titled: “Substance-Related and Addictive Disorders.” You will then research your selected disorder in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine or Behavioral Medicine publications. The instructions below will assist you in your search.
- Go to the Ashford University Library (either via the link in the left navigation or the Student Portal)
- Click the “Advanced Search>>” link under the FindIt@AU search box
- Enter the name of the disorder you selected from the DSM-5 into the first text box
- Select “SU Subject Terms” in the drop-down menu next to your disorder
- Enter Annals of Behavioral Medicine or Behavioral Medicine in the second box
- Select “SO Journal Title/Source” in the drop-down menu next to the publication’s name
- Click the Search button
- Click “Relevance” and choose “Date Newest”
Read and discuss one or more articles published within the last five years in the journal listed above. If you do not generate an appropriate article in the Annals of Behavioral Medicine or in the journal Behavioral Medicine, remove the journal titles and complete a general search for your disorder. Be sure to check the boxes next to “Limit to Full Text” and “Limit to Scholarly / Peer Reviewed”.
Utilizing the biopsychosocial perspective, explain the substance-related or addictive disorder and your research (reference article) through the model of health psychology. In your posting, analyze how the following factors potentially contribute to risk for developing a substance use disorder synthesizing research regarding these factors in order to support your statements.
- Biological factors
- Psychosocial aspects
- Prevention of the disorder
- Treatment of the disorder
- Reasons for relapse
Your initial post should be a minimum of 300 words and include appropriate citations from the referenced article(s) and DSM-5, as well as any additional resources you choose to include in your discussion. Provide all resources as references in APA format.