Performance excellence assessment
Performance Assessment Report (Total: 33%):
Note: This is a semester long assignment that should be started at the beginning of the semester. Please review the Report requirements and ask any questions under the Performance Assessment Report conference area. All approvals for the organization you plan to evaluate using the Baldrige criteria should be agreed to with the Professor by no later than the fourth class of the semester. There is a Topic Area under this conference area to submit your approval request.
Based on feedback over the last few semesters, students felt that 33% for the last assignment of the year was too high for one assignment, especially given that the due date is the last day of the semester. Therefore, the Organizational Profile section of the Assignment will be due during the 9th week of the semester. It will be worth 8% of the grade and the remaining sections of the assignment will be worth 25% of the grade for a total of 33%.
(OPTIONAL). To assure that you are on the right track for the other sections of the assignment, you can submit, in Week 10, the results of your assessment for Item 1.1 of Category 1 (See Requirement 3 below). I will then provide individual feedback that should help as you proceed with the rest of the Items and Categories. There will be no grade provided, only feedback, and submission is completely optional.
In addition, during the semester, there will be at least two Chat Room sessions during which you have the opportunity to ask questions on this assignment.
Conduct an assessment of an organization using the HYPERLINK “http://www.quality.nist.gov/Business_Criteria.htm” t “_blank” BaldrigeCriteria. You may choose your organization for evaluation—a major unit, subsidiary, etc. (If you are unable to choose your organization, you may choose an organization you can get inside information about—you may not choose a Baldrige award winner.) Also, please provide a paragraph on how you plan to obtain information for your assessment from the organization selected; for example surveys, structured interviews, information form the organization’s intranet, etc. Receive approval from the instructor on the organization selected and the approach for information collection by posting in the conference area—Performance Assessment Report Conference.
1. Write a profile of the organization using the 2013-2014 Malcolm Baldrige criteria for the organization profile, as described in Sections P.1 and P.2 on pages 4 to 6 of the Business Criteria. You can use a bullet format. Please align the write-ups for the Profile with the various sections of the Profile. For example, P.1 a (1), etc. The Profile should give the reader a good overall picture of the organization you are evaluating. Remember, this section is due on the 9th week of the semester and is worth 8% of the grade.
2. Develop and document a detailed approach you took in order to conduct the assessment (steps taken, interivews conducted, how you collected information, and approach used in determining the “How” and “How Well”).
3. Conduct a self-assessment using the criteria questions contained in Categories 1 through 6. You must respond to what you believe are the major questions in each Category Item (for example, Item 1.1 and Item 1.2 in Category 1). There is no requirement to respond to all of the criteria questions; only the major questions you believe are important to the organization you selected for assessment. However, you are required to cover all Items in Categories 1 thru 6. The responses to these questions are “how” the organization is presently attempting to meet the requirements of the criteria question. Keep the “how” brief. The next step is your assessment of “how well” the organization is meeting the requirements of the criteria question, This assessment then forms the basis of the creation of an organization’s strengths and opportunities for improvement (OFI). Reference link each strength and OFI to the appropriate criteria question using the criteria number. (Make sure you understand p.34- 35 of Criteria on Process Items)
4. Summarize all of your strengths and OFIs by Category and denote the level of importance you place on it in terms of High, Medium, and Low.
5. Develop a percent score, using p. 28 on Process and the scoring table on p 32 of the Criteria, for Categories 1 to 6. For example using the scoring guidelines listed on page 32 under Process of the Criteria–you would give Leadership a percent score, Strategic Planning a percent score, etc. Also provide a few sentences justifying your scores for each of the six categories using both your findings and the guidelines listed in the Scoring Table. Please note that Baldrige award winning organizations score in the 55-70% range for each Category.
6. Identify the five most vital Opportunities for Improvement in terms of greatest impact on organizational performance. Expand on these in narrative format (2-4 sentences for each) in order to justify your selections in terms of their impact on the organization and on organizational performance.
7. Select the two most critical of these five Opportunities for Improvement and justify why selected. Then develop action plans for their implementation. In this action plan, identify baseline performance measures to utilize to quantify the current situation. Provide quantitative data or descriptive information for the current baseline situation. (For example if the baseline measure is timeliness then what is the current timeliness of the existing process.) Also include the expected impact of your recommendations for improvement. This plan should include major actions, milestone dates, and potential benefits. Keep in mind that the action plans are simply your best guess.
8. Expected reception from management. Given your proposal for changes, please provide the expected reception from management if your recommendations for change were presented to management. Three options are offered for getting management’s reaction:
—Provide your Assessment Report to management for their review
—Discuss the Report with them and get their reaction
—Surmise what reaction they would have given and justify in a few sentences why you believe you would get this reaction. For example, it could be based on previous efforts to improve organizational performance.
Summarize your expected reception for Requirement 8.
Sections 2 thru 8 of the assignment are worth 25% of the grade.
The Performance Assessment Report should be about 15-25 pages (remember, that this is just a guide and not a hard rule. Thus, no penalty for going over 25 pages). Use APA guidelines where appropriate.
In summmary, there are three required submittals to the assignment and one optional submittal.
Approval of the organization to be used for the assessment. Due Week 4 and no grade assigned (Required).
Organizational Profile. Due Week 9 and worth 8% (Required).
Interim Submittal. Due Week 10 and no grade assigned (Optional).
Requirements 2 through 8 of the assignment. Due Week 12 and worth 25% (Required).
The following is an example Table of Contents for requirements two through 8:
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Table of Contents
Approach to Conducting Performance Assessment
Leadership Self Assessment 1.1 and 1.2
Strategic Planning Self Assessment 2.1 and 2.2
Customer Focus Self Assessment 3.1 and 3.2
Measurement Analysis & Knowledge Management 4.1 and 4.2
Workforce Focus Self Assessment 5.1 and 5.2
Operations Focus Self Assessment 6.1 and 6.2
Summary of all Strengths and OFIs by Criterion
Scoring for Categories 1-6 and Justification
Five (5) Most Vital Opportunities for Improvement
Top Two Opportunities for Improvement
Sample Action Plan: One
Sample Action Plan: Two
Management Reaction to Assessment Report